Yet another new food blog

So I've created another blog (groan ;) this time about food and drink. Since I spend pretty much all my disposable income on these two and I've been tweeting about them a lot that I'd write something a bit longer up and bore more people with it ;)


Trolls's Pantry

I love nearly everything about the Troll's Pantry good quality, local street food served with passion from the Wood Store on Circus Street. This week I a new creation THE MINOTAUR inspired by a Cretan holiday. When I read the ingredients on twitter I was already hungry:

35 day aged English Longhorn burger, topped with Cretan olives and Sussex Sister Sarah goats cheese. Placed on a bed of lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber and a dollop of home made tzatziki & served in a olive oil toasted, home baked brioche bun.

I arrived and ordered the 1/4 lb burger medium rare and waited in anticipation. It didn't disappoint, a real taste of summer on a beautiful September's afternoon.
Minotaur Burger and Fair-trade Cola
My companion's burger looked no less awesome and is called The Smokey Mountain

35 day aged English Longhorn burger,  topped with Ashdown Foresters smoked cheese and two rashers of Jessups Farm oak smoked streaky bacon. Finished with a home made  smoky rum BBQ sauce and caramelised new season onion and garlic. Placed on a bed of Sussex grown lettuce and beef steak tomato & served in a home baked brioche bun.
Smokey Mountain and locally produced Apple Juice














Troll's pantry aren't just about burgers and previously I've had a very tasty bacon and smoked cheese bap, which they are now doing in the morning on their breakfast menu.


North Laine Pub

I was quite excited this week about a new microbrewery and craft beer pub opening it's doors. Based in what used to be the Gloucester nightclub at the bottom of, surprisingly ;), Gloucester Street. This is a light, open and grown up feeling space with a range of beers ranging from the intriguing, like the Krusovice, to the more usual Sagres or Kronenburg .... oh, they do Murphy's rather than Guinness as well!

Pint of Krusovice


The Krusovice was a dark lager that isn't often sold in the UK high street, but I liked it. Bit of depth and flavour without the sweetness of most lagers sold here and also without the flowery hoppiness or bitterness of an English real ale.

Half pint of Afflingem
The second beer tested was the Belgian Affligem, a darker wheat beer that was reminiscent of Leffe Brune.

Brewery Tap

My final excursion was to the excellent Brewery Tap - this is turning into an interesting venue with a cocktail downstairs, currently with the Mixology Group having some involvement, I didn't venture down there today ... but I'm sure I will soon ;)

What took me there on a wet miserable, British Sunday afternoon though was a classic Roast Beef lunch. This came with braised red cabbage, kale, puried swede, carrot, roast parsnip, roast potatoes, Yorkshire pudding. There was a good mix of tasty vegetables, but I think the Cooper's Cask on Farm Rd beats it hand down there. However, the roast spuds and gravy were AWESOME! I don't really remember the meat, so it wasn't bad ... but not knock out either. To be fair I did arrive fairly late in the afternoon.

A pint of Kozel, nice house ;)




















This was all washed down with a nice refreshing pint of Kozel - winner of the Czech beer of the year 2010 no less! It is amazing how good a proper Pilsner tastes. This one hit the spot. I was tempted to try the 7.5% Flying Dog as I think it was the hopless experimental beer that they are currently brewing ... but I was alone and work is sadly a few hours away :'(

Comments