Mesmerist

The Mesmerist pub is one of my favourite pubs in town with interesting decor, suit of armour with a chicken head anyone? and also a barbers chair upstairs!!! This was actually one of my first roast trips since the weather took a change to the cold side and we couldn't pretend it was summer anymore, but I've only just remembered I went and put the photos on my computer!

The meat was a nice cut served with a bit of colour on the edges yet still tender and moist. The potatoes were also very fluffy on the inside and crisp on the outside - just like proper roast potatoes should be! The gravy was superb, bit on the runny side, but bags of flavour.

Originally this said "funny" and not "runny", the gravy must've been made of laughing stock ;) - joke thanks to Gordon Wuest.


Roast Beef
I wasn't so sure about the yorkshire pudding. The photo above was taken as it was served, bit overdone and brittle. The vegetables were a bit of a weird mix, beans, purple cabbage, carrot and some mash/puree thing that didn't have much flavour. I did get a bit of food envy as the pork belly did look lush, with crispy crackling and soft tender meat.


Roast Pork Belly
My dessert was a tad disappointing, loving crumble as I do I was looking forward to tucking into a nice bowl of hot and saucy apple mix. The kind of crumble I think about in an idealised school dinner pudding. However, what arrived is what is probably some continental inspired runny apple gravy style sauce with a muesli crumble top. Bit too healthy and strongly spiced for my tastes. On the other hand, from what I had of the brownie it was excellent, rich and dark chocolate combined with a rich creamy ice cream - yummy!

Overall a bit of a mixed bag - liked the meat and potatoes and one of the desserts - in a good pub that unusually these days does Murphy's instead of Guinness.

Comments

  1. The gravy was a bit on the funny side, was it? It's made a laughing stock of you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment