Seven Bees

And back to Brighton for a classic. The story of my love affair with Seven Bees starts a couple of years ago. I was sitting on the beach on a late summer's evening with some good companions. When the night started drawing in and the party dwindled in size, me and the final companion headed to the Globe pub - more of the Globe and its burgers in a later post. It was here that we started reading Source magazine during a lull in conversation. Luckily for me it was the issue with a special roundup of fry ups in Brighton, seeing the address we were intrigued and set off on a hunt for the twittern and its secret cafe. Surprisingly to me now we couldn't find it and it took another daytime trip when they were open to see it - I blame the cider ;)

The cafe itself is quite small and cosy with memorable table covers, you know if you've seen a Seven Bees breakfast on instagram ;) All the ingredients are locally sourced where possible with a range of breakfast options. The fry ups come in three sizes - Big, Bigger and Biggest with the option to build your own from the different components. As per the photo below I always used to go for the Biggest ...
Biggest breakfast
My new standard breakfast is a Bigger with extra black pudding. Sometimes if I'm feeling adventurous I'll have my eggs scrambled and my bread fried. This started a few weeks ago when my companion at the time had ordered it, I thought, why not? f*$k it! so, I ordered some for a change as well. It was awesome, I haven't had fried bread in a while and it knocks the socks off "boring old" toast ;)

Bigger with added black pudding
Having said that I do actually like the toast here, the bread is fresh from a bakers down the road in Hove and the butter melts into the bread and tastes like summer fields and camping. I don't have real butter that often anymore and this is a nice treat. The sausages are the best breakfast bangers I've had in Brighton .. certainly a world away from the awful cheap and nasty late night takeaway sausages.

Interestingly Iain has chosen to go for potato latkes instead of say hash browns or the sacrilege of chips - although I have heard people ask for chips! chips?! for breakfast?! I quite like this touch. I do love hash browns, but they can often be a bit greasy. The latkes on the other hand feel fresh with a soft and moist texture.

Further reading

SOURCE special on fry ups - the review that started it all for me

Lomokev's Full English photos on Flickr - embarrassingly I kept bumping into him at seven bees with my camera, which I had usually taken exactly ZERO photos on that weekend. He usually looked at the camera and then at me, wonder what he was thinking :-)

Twitten - incase anyone thinks it's a typo or spelling mistake ;)

Comments