Pies at the Amex

I started this blog post waaaaaay back in September near the beginning of the football season. I had heard that Piglet's Pantry Pies were good and was determined to eat my way through the menu!

This week I was slightly surprised by the pre-match email telling me that the club had parted company with the caterers Azure. Although they did commit to providing quality local produce like Piglet's Pantry and Harveys, while twitter was awash with fears that these would go to be replaced with the likes of Carlsberg and Pukka pies.

So, anyway, I've now worked through the menu and had the Chicken and Leek, Chicken Balti, Steak and Ale and one weekly special pie - Chilli! They all share the same basic characteristics - good quality ingredients, well made pastry, thick rich and luxurious gravy and real chunks of meat. These are worlds apart from Pukka pies or the other factory line pies that come in foil dishes, which I've had in sports grounds around the world.

Steak and Ale Pie
The above picture doesn't really do them justice, but I've not taken a photo with a proper camera and my phone can't cope with the lighting! I've also missed out on a couple of specials like meat, potato and pea puree as I've been in 1901 club (hospitality) seats. I'm glad that I got a chance to sample the Chilli pie this week, it was awesome. I would quite happily have had a full portion of that with some cornbread and sour cream for my dinner. They did have a list of ingredients on the concourse counter, the only two that I can remember is that they used Scottish beef and some chocolate.

At a cold football match I have to say that the Chicken Balti is my firm favourite, although if the Chilli was on the menu every week then I'd probably go for that. Much nicer depth of flavour and mince dishes are probably better suited to being cooked up and then kept warm in the concourses. If I got one to have at home then I'd probably go for the Steak and Ale accompanied with peas, new potatoes and gravy.

One special that I have heard lots of good things about, which that I hope they do again, is a little number featuring Chorizo. Here is hoping .....

Further Reading

Albion sack caterers - We Are Brighton post

Comments

  1. I tried at half time the first time the Chilli pie was the special - no joy.

    Tried at 2.25 on Saturday - none and then at half time - sold out! :-(

    Chicken Balti is pretty good tbf but I have to say that the meat, potato and pea puree was really good too.

    3rd time lucky with a Chilli pie?!?

    Foz

    PS. "a little number featuring Chorizo" Yes please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Foz,

      The first section I tried for a Chilli pie at about 2:40 on Saturday had sold out, so I went for wander around the stadium to find somewhere that had them left :-)

      Neil

      Delete
  2. There has been a chicken & chorizo pie available. Not had one myself, but am told they're also excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I think that's the one that I've heard about as well. Think they may have last done it at the Fat Boy Slim gig.

      Delete

Post a Comment